Twisted Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Community of SimRacers.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inSLS

upgrade cpu mb

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
grumpp

grumpp

upgrade cpu mb Empty
PostSubject: upgrade cpu mb   upgrade cpu mb EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 am

Here's my problem. Just bought a new mb, Asrock 990FX Extreme 4, and cpu, FX8120. The mb might not have a bios version that supports the cpu ( has to be 1.30 or higher). Can I flash the bios with the new processor in (Asrock instant flash), or do I have to have a supported cpu in? And if it's the latter, do you think I can do it without the heatsink? Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
prod
Admin
prod

upgrade cpu mb Empty
PostSubject: Re: upgrade cpu mb   upgrade cpu mb EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:23 am

If your PC starts with the new chip use that. When i bought my Gigabyte 990fx and my 8120 my mobo didnt work at all, so i had to pop in my old chip then flash and then new chip back in.

If your mobo detects it as the right chip and there are no problems then maybe u shouldnt flash at all. Flashin is always risky.

Good luck Smile

P.S Dont forget keep the thermal paste thin but fully covering the chip. More thermal paste does not equal better cooling, its the other way round!
Back to top Go down
grumpp

grumpp

upgrade cpu mb Empty
PostSubject: Re: upgrade cpu mb   upgrade cpu mb EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks prod....I'll just set it up like it's going to work and keep my fingers crossed. I'm thinking it should, the FX have been out a while now.
Back to top Go down
prod
Admin
prod

upgrade cpu mb Empty
PostSubject: Re: upgrade cpu mb   upgrade cpu mb EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 10:40 am

Ye theyve been out a while but if youve bought your mobo since FX series launch your prob set with the right bios anyways.

Its really good combo, very happy with my FX.

Ive only ever run a cpu without a cooler once. and it was for about 3 secs. Soon as i saw the bios screen i knocked it off. Really wouldnt advise longer than a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

upgrade cpu mb Empty
PostSubject: Re: upgrade cpu mb   upgrade cpu mb Empty

Back to top Go down

upgrade cpu mb
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Twisted Racing :: Hardware, Software and Peripherals :: Help!-
Jump to: